Zim Sailing's Collegiate FJ sailboats are designed to meet the challenging demands of college, high school, camps, and other institutional programs. Our Collegiate FJ combines the proven performance capabilities of an FJ with added features that enhance the strength and durability of the boat. The FJ has become the standard dinghy for institutions across North America. The boat is agile and has the ability to sail in a wide range of conditions. The Zim Collegiate FJ dinghy has the same proven, durable lineage as the C420, ensuring a quality, competitive boat. The Collegiate FJ is sailed without a spinnaker and features a standard over the transom style rudder head and tiller.
Hull and Deck
- All thru deck mounted hardware is supported by tapped aluminum backing plates glassed to the inside of the boat which eliminates inspection ports.
- Forestay chain plate, extruded aluminum with three ¼” fasteners thru bolted into an aluminum backing plate which add durability and strength to the boat.
- Shroud chain plate is a forged eye strap supported with aluminum back-up bar under the rail for additional durability.
- All flanges and hull to deck joints are bonded with Plexus methyl methacrylate structural adhesive to eliminate leaks and hull/deck separation. This is the strongest bonding agent on the market and Zim is the only company to use this to bond their boats.
- Three stringers have been applied to the cockpit floor for added stiffness and to provide the perfect platform for skippers and crews to step across the boat for perfect maneuvers.
- Elastomeric urethane bow bumpers are the industry standard for increased durability.
- One-piece high-density urethane gasket retainer with cloth gaskets to increased durability and allow for easy maintenance.
- Heavy duty rub rail for added durability. Standard duty rub rail is an option.
- Filled stern rails are standard.
- Harken 75mm carbo mainsheet blocks provide increased reliability.
- Heavy Duty transom pintles are the longest lasting pintles on the market and the rudder retainer clip has a plastic tip to eliminate pinching fingers. The rudder comes with a lanyard to secure it to the boat.
- Harken or Ronstan jib track with 57mm Harken carbo ratchet blocks. Track includes car retainer.
- Tennis ball transom bailer is connected to an eye strap on the keelson for easy closure.
- 4:1 Harken vang system which allows for easy adjustment by crews in team racing.
- Horn cleat for the aft hiking strap will provide easy adjustment.
- Jib tack quick pin with lanyard to eliminate pins being dropped in water.
- Heavy duty webbing hiking straps for longer durability.
- Dwyer mast
- Selden boom with drilled and tapped screws to prevent block movement
- External outhaul.
- Selden boom spigot is fixed to the boom
Base Boat Includes
- Zim Platinum sails with team race graphics and program logo up to 1sq meter and 3 colors
- Dwyer mast and Selden boom
- Bow bumper
- Heavy duty rub rail
- Filled stern quarter rails
- Lanyard to attach drain plugs
- Recessed gasket
- Marlow line package
- Tennis ball bailer – Single
- Vinyl bow number